The League of Women Voters, a nonpartisan political organization, encourages the informed and active participation in government and influences public policy through education and advocacy.
Take a look at the Issues We Support.
Check out the Free Advocacy Playbook, a PowerPoint presentation and guide to understanding how the Texas Legislature does its work and ways to gain awareness for an issue or situation. The Playbook explains how non-profit groups can participate, offers legislative terminology, 11 advocacy involvement levels with simple instructions, and a parliamentary procedure summary.
Information on League Action Alerts and Testimony.
View the Legislative Newsletter published bi-weekly during regular sessions of the Texas Legislature.
You can follow our occasional tweets on Twitter during the 2013 Legislative Session at:
- Guide for Issue Chairs
- Program Perspectives
- We Support: Tri-Fold OR List
- Budget - "Financing Texas Government: Not Just Trimming the Fat, but Scraping the Bone" (2011 paper)
- Coal-Fired Power Plants (2007 paper)
- Countdown to Copenhagen (2009 paper)
- Early Childhood Education - "Integral to Texas Economic Development" (2008 paper)
- Texas Health Care - "Inadequate State Programs are Costly to All Texans" (2013 paper)
- Medicaid - "A Wise Investment of State Dollars" (2007 paper)
- Money, Politics, and Ethics - "What’s at Stake?" (2005 paper)
- Public Education in Texas - "Teetering on the Brink?" (2013 paper)
- Redistricting (2007 paper)
- Texas Water Crisis - "Increasing Demand but Decreasing Supply" (2013 paper)
Lobby Days Presentations 2013
- Health Care and the 2013 Session - by Stacey Pogue of CPPP
- Water Issues in Texas - by Meredith Miller of The Meadows Center for Water and the Environment