PRESENTATIONS AND AWARDS AT CONVENTION 2014
Presentations and awards at the Convention were outstanding, critical and enjoyable! Click the respective item below to read or download the following:
- 50-Year Leagues and Members
- Local League Awards
- Address by Elisabeth MacNamara, LWVUS President
- Address by Elaine Wiant, LWV-TX President
- Welcome by Janice Schieffer, LWV-TX Program VP
- Advocacy Report by Laura Blackburn, LWV-TX Advocacy VP
- Education Report by Janet Imhoff, LWV-TX Education Chair
- Women's Health and Reproductive Rights by Julie Lowenberg, LWV-TX Issue Chair
CALL TO CONVENTION 2014The Eyes of Texas Leaguers Are Upon You!
*Updated April 1, 2014*
Final Call to Convention 2014! How quickly time flies! Every two years in April of even-numbered years, LWV-Texas convenes a state convention to which delegates and members from the 25 Leagues-plus all Members-At-Large-are invited. And the time has arrived! The 2014 Convention will be held Friday-Sunday, April 25-27, 2014, in Austin at The DoubleTree by Hilton at 6505 Interstate Highway-35 North.
Personal invitation from Brenda Koegler, 2014 Convention Chair
I'll say it again--this is an event Texas Leaguers really should not miss! Those of you who regularly attend convention know what an experience it is. Those who have never attended will be amazed at how everything comes together. The League is made up of so many parts and people that somehow work together to further democracy. Take this opportunity for growth and guidance and fellowship and fun! See in action how democracy benefits from our grassroots efforts as we work on the very important issues that affect our state and our nation. Meet people who value voter education as much as you do. And after it is over, let me know if you will come again!
See the items below and click on the links for information about what to expect at the convention, how to register, where to stay, and how to get around in Austin. We have included a "draft" workbook which includes the slate of nominees for the 2014-2016 state board, the proposed budget, the proposed program, and almost everything else you need to know to get ready for the 2014 LWV-TX STATE CONVENTION!
Click here for the convention workbook.
Click here for a Registration Form for Delegates and Observers. *Updated March 22, 2014*
IMPORTANT CONVENTION DEADLINES:
April 1, 2014: Reserve a space for local League sales and exhibits.
April 4, 2014: Last day to reserve a room at the hotel and receive special group rate.
April 11, 2014: Deadline to register for Friday night event sponsored by LWV-Austin Area.
April 15, 2014: Last day to register for convention and receive the early bird discount.
Reserve your room by calling hotel reservations at 512-454-3737 or 800-347-0330, or click here.
Please refer to the group name of League of Women Voters of Texas 2014 Convention to receive the group room rate of $119 for 1-2 people or $139 for 3-4 people per night (plus state sales and occupancy taxes), and all group special concessions.
Parking is free. Our Local Host League, Austin Area, is providing free continental breakfasts both Saturday and Sunday mornings.
All reservations must be guaranteed by credit card, first night deposit. Reservations must be cancelled by 4:00 PM, 24 hours before the day of arrival, or the first night of the stay will be charged.
The group rate is only available through April 4, 2014, so make hotel reservations now!
SPECIAL EVENTS & WORKSHOPS
Click here for more information about events and workshops.
- A Membership/Leadership Development Initiative (MLD) review and training for coaches and participating MLD Leagues is scheduled for Thursday afternoon and Friday morning with Judy Golberg, Ruth Shur Fellow and a national coach. Five additional Leagues have now signed up to have a coach and several new coaches have signed up, so this MLD training session is now full.
- Friday afternoon workshops: Choose from The Art of Advocacy; Can We Talk? Sharing, Learning and Networking; It's Time to Talk 'M & M,' (Membership Development & Mentoring); Being a Savvy President-Making Your League Proud; Sharing League Successes & Issues with the News Media; and Yes, You Can Master VOTE 411.
- Saturday Luncheon: You know by now that the dynamic LWVUS President Elisabeth MacNamara has accepted our invitation to attend the convention.
We have also invited Ann McGeehan to speak at our luncheon on Saturday. She was THE election expert at the Texas Secretary of State's office for many years and serves on the Presidential Commission on Election Administration, whose report was just recently released. Her insight will be fascinating!
- Saturday night banquet: Just as impressive, our banquet Saturday night will celebrate one of our early LWV-TX Presidents, Oveta Culp Hobby, who went on to achieve a series of "national firsts". The Honorable Bill Hobby, who most notably served as Lieutenant Governor in Texas from 1972 to 1990, will share highlights of his political career and of the mother who inspired him to go into public service.
FRIDAY NIGHT EVENT: Austin Awaits!
On Friday night the Austin Area League invites you to a uniquely Austin event-a sight-seeing cruise on Lady Bird Lake. Registration/payment for this event is separate from the convention registration. Click here for a description of the event and registration and payment information. Deadline for reservations for this evening event is Friday, April 11, 2014. Space is limited, so make your reservations now.
AUCTIONS: Your Donations Help Support Local Leagues & Members
The auction at convention helps the state League support local Leagues and members. The wonderful items donated by local Leagues and members also add to the fun of Convention!
Popular items for the auctions include: gift certificates; gift baskets with themed items reflecting your area; books; admission to art events, performances, museums, zoos and tourist attractions; decorative accessories and home items; food and beverage items; fashion accessories, jewelry, professional sports and team memorabilia; trips and travel-related items, hotel and B&B stays, and vacation home visits; restaurant dining; Texas-made products; and personal services such as spa treatments and makeovers.
Donations can either be mailed to the state office in advance or delivered at the state convention on Friday, April 25, but we need to know about the item in advance so a description and bid sheet can be prepared. To help us credit each donation, please include an auction donation form with your donation.
The auction donation form is available here. The state office address to which donations can be sent is: LWV-Texas, 1212 Guadalupe #107, Austin, TX 78701.
LOCAL LEAGUE EXHIBIT SPACE
Local Leagues are invited to sell publications and other items, or present an exhibit, in the auction room.
Leagues that would like space should please contact Brenda Koegler (firstname.lastname@example.org) with details by April 1, 2014, so that arrangements can be made.
Each local League is entitled to delegates based on the number of voting members of the League. The president of each League, or an alternate in the event the president is unable to attend, is a delegate. Additional delegates are chosen by members of the local League as follows: one delegate for the first 15 voting members, and one delegate for every 10 additional voting members or major fraction thereof.
The official membership is determined by state office records of voting members as of January 1, 2014. Each provisional League and each member-at-large unit with at least 10 members shall be entitled to one voting delegate.
Official delegate numbers can be found in the draft workbook linked above and also separately by clicking here.